Communicable diseases are diseases that can be transferred from one person to another. A disease is a condition of departure from the normal functioning state of the body.
Agents of Communicable Diseases
- Air-borne diseases
- Food borne diseases
- Insect borne diseases
- Contagious and sexually transmitted diseases
Signs of Communicable Diseases
The following are signs of communicable diseases:
- Red or watery eye
- Skin rash
- Frequent passing of faeces
- Running note
Prevention of Communicable Diseases
The following are preventive measures against communicable diseases:
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Cover food to protect them from flies
- Protect the body from insect bites
- Drink clean and safe water
- Do not use the materials of other people
- Do not spit indiscriminately
- Go for immunization
- Exposition to Health Education
- Do not sleep in overcrowded room (good ventilation).
- There should be proper disposal of refuse and sewage.
- Wash fruits thoroughly before eating
- Wash hand before eating food
- Wash hands after visiting the toilet to pass feaces
- Avoid pre-marital and outside marriage sex
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually transmitted disease are;
- HIV/AIDS: HIV causes AIDS and interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections.
- Syphilis: A bacterial infection usually spread by sexual contact that starts as a painless sore.
- Gonorrhea: A sexually transmitted bacterial infection that, if untreated, may cause infertility.
- Genital herpes: A common sexually transmitted infection marked by genital pain and sores.
- Chlamydia: A common, sexually transmitted infection that may not cause symptoms.
- Human papillomavirus infection: An infection that causes warts in various parts of the body, depending on the strain.
Prevention of HIV/AIDS
The following are preventive measures against HIV/AIDS
- Abstain from sex until you are married.
- Be disciplined in sex issues.
- Do not share razor blades, clippers, needles, syringes or other sharp instruments with people.
- Be faithful not to have sex outside marriage.
- Avoid taking alcoholic drinks and using intoxicating drugs.
- Cover open wounds.
- Do not share chewing stick, blades, needles and tooth brushes.
Types of Communicable Diseases
The types of communicable diseases include the following:
- Chicken pox
- Common cold
- Define diseases
- Mention two main types of diseases
- List 5 agents of diseases
- State 3 signs of communicable diseases
- List 3 sexually transmitted diseases
- Discuss HIV/AIDS