Renewable Energy 0
Understand what renewable energy is and learn the various sources of renewable energy.
Deep cycle batteries 0
Learn about batteries and why deep cycle batteries is preferred in inverter power system. Learn about deep cycle batteries
Power Inverters 2
Types of Deep cycle batteries
Now we are going to talk about the various types of deep cycle batteries. There are basically two types or better still classification of deep cycle batteries but that too broad a classification to make. We will still mention the two broad classifications.
5 types of deep cycle batteries:
The first two types are also the broader classification of deep cycle batteries.
- Flooded or wet batteries: These deep cycle batteries contains liquid or wet electrolyte. The liquid acid in it can easily spill and this type of battery is not maintenance free.
Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 14.9 volts; typical float voltage range 13.1 to 13.4 volts.
- Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery (VRLA): This type of Lead acid battery has the electrolyte sealed from spilling even when the battery case is punctured. The Hydrogen and Oxygen produced while charging this lead acid battery escapes through a specially designed valves.
Typical absorption voltage range 14.2 to 14.5 volts; typical float voltage range 13.2 to 13.5 volts.The other 2 types of batteries, though can be classified as distinct on its own technology, is still a type of VRLA battery.
- AGM batteries: AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat. AGM on its own is a type of VRLA but the technology is well developed now that some see it as a type of battery on its own. In AGM battery, the electrolyte which is sulphuric acid is held in a glass mat or fibres woven around the battery plates. This is unlike in flooded batteries where the liquid acid flows freely around the plates. So this means that AGM batteries are sealed and also maintenance free.
- Gel batteries: Gel battery is also a special type of a VRLA battery. Its now famous like the AGM counterpart that is classified as distinct type of battery of its own. The technology on manufacturing gel battery is simple. The liquid electrolyte is mixed with silica which turns it into what looks like a paste. In this way, Gel batteries are also considered dry cell as the electrolyte in them can not spill.
- Other non Lead Acid batteries: This us the last but not the least. All the batteries mentioned above have lead acid electrolyte and plate. But there are other batteries that are gaining favourable market share out their. The most popular is Lithium ion based battery. The advantage of this Li ion is that it is light weight and has longer cycles and durability.
So this is all for deep cycle battery types. You may proceed to the next lesson.